Home The Museum Personalities Planning Your Visit Archive Film Shop Contact Us Links


 A station frozen in time


Home The Museum Personalities Planning Your Visit Archive Film Shop Contact Us Links

THE MUSEUM

Railway History

    







.

The Invergarry & Fort Augustus Railway was a local company and despite opposition, received permission in 1896 for a 24 miles (39 km) long line along the Great Glen from Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus, 30 miles (48 km) from Inverness. One of the principal promoters of the line was George Malcolm of Fort William who was also active in the promotion of the West Highland Railway. The main patron was Lord Burton without whose money the project would have had no hope of getting started.

Three proposals, from the Highland, West Highland and Invergarry & Fort Augustus Railway, to extend this railway to Inverness were presented to parliament the following year, and all failed after costly litigation. After costly construction the line was complete in 1901, but with no money left to buy rolling stock, the company offered the line to the North British, which was already running services through Spean Bridge station. The company proposed running services at cost, but after a request for guarantees was refused the line was offered to the Highland Railway. After fresh battles in parliament, and both the Highland and North British Railways guaranteeing that they would not seek to extend the line, the Highland Railway was given permission to operate services on the line for a payment of £4,000 a year.

Services started on 22 July 1903. During the summer some services ran beyond Fort Augustus to a pier on Loch Ness to connect with a steamer, but this was withdrawn in 1906. In 1907 the Highland withdrew and the North British took over until services were suspended between 31 October 1911 and 1 August 1913.  The company advertised the disposal of the line for scrap. In spite of the fact that the local people hardly used the railway, there was an outcry at this. A public campaign was mounted in Lochaber to save the line. Meetings were held in halls and schools up and down the Great Glen. In February 1912 there was a general election where the fate of the railway became a leading issue in the highland constituencies. Eventually Inverness County Council agreed to subsidise the line and it was reopened on 1 August 1913.The North British bought the line for £27,000 in 1914. The line became part of the London and North Eastern Railway after the grouping. Passenger services were withdrawn on 1 December 1933, after which a coal train ran on Saturdays. During World War II there was a platform at a Royal Naval Armaments Depot (RNAD) in Fort Augustus. The line closed completely on 1 January 1947

Creating the Museum



   






Somewhere under this vegetation there was a platform. In 2012 this was the sight that greeted volunteers when work commenced to establish the museum.By 2013 things started to look better!










Today we have a station back and can concentrate on laying track and creating the infrastructure, building a replica signal cabin, station building and a historic carriage shed. There is a plan for an extension to the demonstration line to the west of 0.6 miles


Artefacts


TRUSTEES: Christopher Ellice, Chris Oram, Mark Bowman, William Hall

WE ARE ASSEMBLING A COLLECTION OF ARTEFACTS APPROPRIATE TO THE PERIOD THE LINE WAS OPEN.

We would be pleased to receive any such items for display either as a donation or on loan. Please email us

invergarrystation@gmail.com